0044 7717 577532


Bringing Pets Into the UK

Bringing pets into the UK

When you are coming back with your pet into the UK from the EU you’ll need the following. (below you can read a page by page instructions of what has to be done and on what page in the pet’s passport in order to gain entry/re-entry into the UK)

  1. valid pet passport.
  2. dogs, cats and ferrets need to have a microchip implanted,
  3. valid rabies vaccination
  4. worm treatment (for dogs only)
  5. health check (Within 24 hours of starting the journey. This is just a doctor’s stamp and signature to state the pet is healthy for the travel. Rather stupid, but it’s an EU law)

The pet passport is valid as long as the rabies shot is valid or one of the pages fills up.

The passport have to include 

  1. the name of the rabies vaccination, the date it was administered, valid from date and the expiration date. Have to be signed and stamped by a veterinarian.
  2. the worm treatment (dogs only) must have the date, the hour and the minute of administration entered into the pet’s passport. After the treatment is given, 24 hours must pass before the pet can enter the country, but have to cross the border within a 120 hours from the time of the treatment or else it have to be done again.
  3. clinical examination (health check) need to be done and entered into the passport including the date the pet was examined by a veterinarian, -stamped and signed. This one have to be done within 24 hours before the pet travels. This proves the pet is healthy for traveling. 

The tick and flea treatment is optional, but doesn’t hurt to have it done at the same time as the rest. 

Coming back to England with a ferry or by train, on the french side, they will check all of the above. If one of them is missing or the dates and times are not right, the pet won’t be allowed to board. In that case you need to go to a veterinarian in France to have it corrected. (here is a list of veterinarians in Calais

The agent will also give you one half of a form where he entered the pet’s passport number. You need to keep this until you pass through the English side of the border control, because if they stop and ask, you need to prove the pet/s were checked in properly on the French side or else you can be fined and prosecuted for smuggling. 

If you have someone else transporting your pet, you need to give them the pet’s passport with all of the above included in it so they can bring the pet/s into the UK. No other documentation is needed.

Gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits and hamsters don’t need anything. They are free to travel between European Union States. Exotic animals need special permits.

Must have in the Pet Passport: (the following information is for the new pet passports issued after 29 December 2014. If the passport was issued before the above date you can still use it until the death of the pet or until the pages are filled)

  • Page marked with Roman number I: Owners name and address
  • Page marked with roman number II: The pet’s data(Date of birth, Name, Breed)
  • Page with roman number III: Microchip data(In the passport the date of the chip must be before or on the same day as the rabies shot is given or else the rabies shot is considered invalid and has to be repeated)
  • Page with roman number IV: The Name, address and phone number of the Veterinarian issuing the passport.
  • Page with roman number V: Rabies vaccination data. This is required for dogs, cats and ferrets. Must enter the day it was administered, valid from date (plus 21 days after vaccination. The day of vaccination is day 0 ) and the date of expiry. If this is the first time the pet is vaccinated against rabies or the previous vaccination lapsed one or more days, have to wait 21 days before entering the EU.
  • Page with roman number VII: Worm treatment. This is for dogs only! Veterinarian has to do it, have to enter the Date, the Hour and Minute into the passport. 24 hours must pass after administering it, but within 120 hours the dog must enter the UK or else has to be repeated. (after the 24 hours passed, you have 96 hours to enter the UK) 
  • Page with roman number VIII: Tick and Flea treatment data (this is not a requirement in the EU, but optional) and other treatment against parasites.  (not required to enter the UK from the EU)
  • Page with roman number IX: The doctor can enter any other vaccinations here. (not required to enter the UK from the EU)
  • Page with roman number X:  Clinical examination.  All the Vet need to do is to sign it and stamp it. This page means the pet was checked and in good health to travel. EU law, this supposed to be done within 24 hours before the start of travelling. (not required to enter the UK)

In the new passport every section that was written too must be sealed with a see through plastic tape in order to prevent manipulation of data. The microchip page the entire page have to be taped over. The issuing Vet gets the tape with the passports and he/she has to do it.

If you have all of the above, the pet will be allowed through.

All of the above have to be done by a licensed veterinarian.

Going from the UK to one of the EU Countries all you need is the pet’s passport, microchip implanted and a valid rabies vaccination. Dogs don’t need worm treatment leaving the UK.

The DEFRA is the agency supervising the laws regarding bringing pets into the United Kingdom their number is  01228 403 600 (option 3), or 0044 1228 403 600 (option 3) international.

Email: petstoeurope@gmail.com
hone: 07717 577 532

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *