Skip to content

Travelling with Dogs and Cats from the UK

Travelling with Dogs and Cats from the UK

The United Kingdom is no longer member of the EU and new pet travel rules apply.
While the member of the EU dogs cats and ferrets were travelling between the UK and EU with Pet passport.

Now after Brexit, British issued Pet passports are no longer valid. When you are taking your pet to the EU. You need to get a Health Certificate from an Official Veterinary in the UK.
The Health Certificate is valid for 10 days during which time your pet should cross over to the EU. With the Health certificate your pet can stay in the EU for 4 (Four) months.

If for some reason your pet can not travel and the ten days expires, you need to get another Health Certificate which is also valid for 10 days. The cost varies from veterinary to veterinary.
Dogs, Cats and Ferrets must have a microchip, a valid Rabies vaccination and Health Certificate to enter the EU

European Pet passports are still valid for travelling with pets from the EU to the UK.

Coming back with pets into the UK

you need to have the above plus the worm treatment for your dog only. Cats don’t need the worm treatment.

As simple as it is to give the dog a tablet or two, this one has to be done by a licensed Vet. The Veterinarian have to enter the date, the hour and the minute onto the document.

You have to wait 24 hours to be valid for re-entry into the UK, but you have to re enter within 120 hours including the 24 hours waiting period or else the whole thing have to be repeated again. 

While there are no borders in most of Europe and nobody checks the cars for foreign pets on the continent, it is a good idea to look up the country specific requirements. 

The reason is, a country might have some disease the other country don’t. Like in the UK there is no rabies. In another country rabies might be a wide spread problem.

Getting a tick and flea treatment for your dog or cat might be a good idea, because in a warmer climate area there might be more of them in the grass and in the bushes that can attach to your pet.

All European countries require you to collect what your dog leaves behind. Have a few plastic baggies in your pocket just in case. Cheaper then paying the fine.

If you need to find a veterinarian just use your GPS’s POI section. Set it to alert you of veterinarian offices in a given radius. Say 800 meters. That way, if you drive around a little, you are sure to find one in no time at all.

There is more about travelling in the EU with dogs, cats and ferrets

Gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits  and some other small animals are exempt from the Pet Travel Scheme requirements in the European Union. No papers needed at all. Bag them and take them.

Email: [email protected]